I suppose that we all need daily reminders of God's great mercy and love. Today I was reminded of God's character and His attention to beauty. Each day I fight the urge to complain and grumble as I drive...this year has been a tough year of teaching and during my commute it is a morning struggle to pray and praise rather than grumble and groan. Today God opened my eyes to see the gift that He gives me every morning. Today, after five months of driving the same route every morning I finally saw God's artwork.
If you have never seen a Kansas sunset...you should. I am sure there are beautiful sunsets all over the world, but here in the state of rolling hills the sunsets are absolutely resplendant. My feeble attempts to capture these moments have failed as I have deleted picture after picture because a snapshot cannot compare to the reality. In Kansas, if there is anything more beautiful than a sunset, it is the sunrise. Few people are out early enough to experience this, but because of my 25-30 minute commute, I get to see the sun rise every winter morning. Unfortunately, I have not seen it everymorning, but this week I have been struck by the magnificent, rich, deep, and vast colors that greet me on my drive to school. Yesterday brought tears to my eyes and today...well, it was bigger and more beautiful than yesterday. In the forefront of the landscape was a field of snow. The purity of the snow was speckeled with the brown remains of milo stalks. Some might see this brown stalk poking out as a defilement of the white, pure snow. But in reality, the snow is a covering that protects the farmground and nourishes it in the spring to prepare it for planting...a sweet sight to a farmer. Just beyond this is a silhouette of a wind break. Peaking out from the top of the evergreen trees is a gigantic barn reaching above to observe the beauty of the colors in the backdrop. Imagine every shade of pink and red, accented with light yellow and burnt orange splashed against a blue sky. It grows wider, taller, larger until the colors are spreading the eastern sky stretching as far as it can reach in an attempt to touch the west with its beauty.
Just as a snapshot cannot catch the beauty of this picture, so words cannot explain what God gave me this morning. However, I pray that my drive and my time would be better spent basking in the mercies of God...not the petty circumstances in which I find myself. His mercies are truly new every morning to me...I just need to open my eyes and see them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die
2 comments:
You have described perfectly why I love the art of photography. Oh, to capture a tiny morsel of His glory!
Can you come teach my students how to write?! :) Jods, I miss you so much! Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes open to what He is doing. Last night I was thinking...nothing ever happens here anymore. Maybe it's my blinders of business with other things that keeps me from seeing what He is doing.
I miss you friend. :)a
Post a Comment