Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Grammar...Why?

Why? Why do I do it to myself? Why? I sat here at my desk for almost 25 minutes staring at the wall. Why do I do this? I know that 25 minutes is not enough time to solve the problems of the world...the problems of mankind...nor the problems of Hutchinson Middle School. But, surely it is enough time to solve the problems of English in room 407. Nope. Nada. Nothing. What could be that bad? What requires more time than a mere lunch period to solve? And in such a fun-loving room? One word...grammar.

I've thought about putting a "help wanted" ad in the newspaper. It would read as follows: "Help wanted: educated adults to pose as 8th graders and who have experience in acting. Job would require acting like 8th graders who care about grammar and are eager to learn so teacher feels effective." I later thought better of it because I realized it would simply benefit my pride and selfish motives. Me. So...back to the drawing board to see how to motivate and teach the real thing. By the way...did you all know that a car was a noun? I thought so...

No comments:

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die