Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Update

Someday I will get the hang of this "regular" blog thing. It seems that every time I make the promise or commitment to keep at it, there is something in the life of our family that take priority over the computer. This time...we were smacked with so much illness for weeks at a time and I was so tired and stressed I had convinced myself this little baby boy was coming early...again! Unfounded fears, I assure you.
Levi was diagnosed with RSV in late March. For two weeks we were isolated at home (I shared some of this earlier). This was a concern for me because Levi was scheduled for his final urology surgery on April 18 and I knew they would never put him under anesthesia with respiratory infections. So when he was cleared exactly two weeks before surgery I was relieved! Mostly for selfish reasons...the later we waited, the more pregnant I got and the less of a chance for a trip to Kansas. BUT...we were cleared. The week before his surgery, Culley came down with a high fever...with no other apparent symptoms...so I wasn't too concerned. Saturday rolled along and Levi came down with the same fever...the difference was that he would not eat and was drooling like crazy. So...in my "expert" diagnosis I thought he was teething. Monday we went in for his pre-surgery physical and when I described to the doctor what was all going on, she looked at me with a frown. Temp...fine. Ears...clear. Throat...inflamed with sores at the back. She called it some funny name, which I looked up at home and found he had a similar virus as hand, foot, and mouth disease. WHAT???? Surgery was cancelled and because it was a virus, we just had to wait it out. Two days later, he got the stomach flu. I figured that for five weeks we were dealing with some kind of weird yuckiness.
One ray of sunshine through all of this was that my mom came for a week. WHAT A BLESSING! Once she left I felt refreshed and ready to tackle all of my tasks at hand. Levi's surgery was rescheduled for May 2. He did great...and although I cry when they take him away...and I cry when I see him in the recovery room coming out of anesthesia...he is the toughest and most courageous little guy I've ever seen.
In all of this, Brian had his 37th birthday and Culley celebrated turning 3. We made it through four weeks of spring ball and the spring football scrimmage ending with a pig roast in celebration. From the end of March to the first week in May we were able to fit in five weeks of illness along with many fun celebrations too. I am so incredibly grateful for God's provision and stretching of my strength and patience during this time. At 29 weeks, however, I am looking forward to a slow, hot, and refreshing summer before Isaac arrives to bless this chaotic home with more laughter and joy! :)

2 comments:

Mama on the Run said...

Oh I didn't have a clue about Levi's surgery in between all of the sickies. So glad he was able to have it and it turned out okay. Praying for your sweet family and for you, mama, as you prepare for the newest little guy in a (few) short weeks! (praying they are short anyway!) Love you, friend!
- Ames

Anonymous said...

Isaac!!! LOVE IT!

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die