Friday, September 17, 2010

Update

The past week has been...well...hard. But, hard does not mean bad and we can be assured that God has a purpose in all that he allows in our lives. We came home on Wednesday with a myriad of emotions. We were relieved to find out that the bleeding seems to be old, which means that at this time there is no longer a danger of miscarriage. They did find a few "mild" indicators that the baby could have Down's Syndrome. However, these indicators could mean something else...and could mean nothing at all. So...we left with no solid answers and are waiting for test results that will come in the next two weeks.

There are two thoughts that have continued to cross my mind in the past couple of days as I've had time to process and pray through some of my fears and concerns. First, when the doctor pulled out the chart that shows the ages of women and their chances of having a baby with Down's Syndrome, the age of 32 wasn't even on the chart. So if we were to look at a woman 33 years of age (which I am not yet) the chances are 1/417. That's a pretty small chance. So either way you look at it, the probabilities and chances of this baby having Down's is incredibly small. God, however, does not operate on probabilities or chances...and both Brian and I know that if this is indeed the case it is completely, totally, and beautifully from God. Second thought was this: in listening to the doctor there was a phrase that she kept repeating. It was, "this may not be an indicator...and it may be an indicator." Basically, I had the realization and confirmation that man's knowledge ends. There is a limit to what doctors can predict or know. There is a limit to technology and science. It ends. There is a point when even the most intelligent humans have to throw up their hands and say, "I just don't know." BUT...God does. In fact He already knows because my baby was "fearfully and wonderfully made" by the Creator of all. So even though the doctor said, "this baby could be completely normal, or maybe not," God knows when man does not.

It is in this truth that we rest. God is still good and I will still praise Him. This circumstance that Brian and I find ourselves in is actually not about us. It's about Christ. Will we make much of Christ? I pray that is the case. Please know that words are easier to write than to live...and it is a daily prayer for us.

This life is so much more than pursuit of career, pursuit of the American Dream, or pursuit of comfort and ease...a beautiful home or nice clothing. This life is so much more than we make it. "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned that in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who gives me strength." I don't know hunger...and I don't know need. Every single one of my needs is taken care of in Christ. What is the secret? Christ. Who gives me strength? Christ. It's about Christ. Even the tough trials in our lives are about Christ.

Please pray with us for the healing of our baby...and that we would make much of Christ regardless.

Blessings today as you live in pursuit of the same.

6 comments:

The Schenk Family said...

I love Jodi Fish!

The Feather Files said...

Your wisdom is a blessing to me. Your faith is an example to me. Thank you for sharing.

Praying for you and your baby, daily.

MamaOnTheRun33 said...

I echo the comments left before. You are such a walking testimony to me and our family, Jodi. We are in continual prayer for you, this precious sweet baby, Brian, and Culley. What wonderful insight you just gave! I'm convicted by your words about man's knowledge. It DOES end...and while I believe this, do I truly live by it?! Thank you for sharing your strength...your fears...your hopes...your prayers. We love you guys!

The Schenk Family said...

I agree your faith has touched my heart more than you know!

Tressa said...

Our prayers are with you guys. I so admire your grounding in Our Lord in the midst of these circumstances. Your baby is going to be a blessing however it is made and God is going to bless you guys through it. Thank you for being so honest. I love that passage in Phillipians. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Jodi and Brian- Daily prayers are coming from Dallas as well. Thank you for sharing your heart with us during this time. We are all learning so much by watching and listening to what God is teaching you.

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die