We just spent two weeks on the road for Christmas break. Brian's family is from South Bend, Indiana so we set out on the afternoon of the 22nd to drive part of our 15 1/2 hour trek. We spent about a week in Indiana and then headed west to my parent's farm in Kansas. We decided we would make this leg of our trip in one day. So, 16 hours later with aching backs and exhausted minds we made it safely to the country. Culley was close to perfect. Of those 31 1/2 hours she fussed for about four total. Not a bad percentage...God is good. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Brian. It seems that those hours on the road are some of the most intimate conversations we have because I have his complete attention and he has mine.
Both Brian and I tend to be city folk. Even though I grew up on the farm and he grew up in the country, there is ,deep in our hearts, a love for the city. There are many reasons for this, but one is our love for the convenience of life. Starbucks is one of the conveniences we miss. Here in our small town the local coffee shop opens at 7:30 a.m. and closes at 5:30. Too late to get a cup before work, and too early to go after. So we take advantage of every trip to the nearest town 30 miles away where the "local" Starbucks resides.
In the past year, however, we have been deeply disappointed with Starbucks. They have begun to only brew a bold blend in the mornings and claim they are not allowed to brew it after 12:00 noon. When we ordered a decaf at 8:30 p.m. on our date night they didn't have it brewed and offered us a decaf Americano instead. For those of you who know me...this is unacceptable. If I order a brewed coffee...I want a brewed coffee. Others claim that at least they have their common blend, Pike's Place, brewed all day. My response to those who think I should drink Pike's Place is this: if I wanted convenience store/McDonald's coffee I would go to a convenience store or McDonald's. I go to Starbucks for bold, good coffee.
So, on our trip to Indiana we stopped at a Starbucks for Brian to get a coffee in order to stay alert while he drove. As has been the norm they only had Pike's Place brewed. Brian settled and I refused. Highly disappointed with his luck, and increasingly perturbed with mine we left and I made a resolve to never, ever settle for less than good coffee at Starbucks. If they don't have a bold blend brewed I will walk out with nothing. I will not settle for Pike's Place and I will not buy a more expensive drink.
Our time in Indiana ended and we loaded up our car early on the morning of the 28th. Brian again needed a good cup of joe and since it was before 12:00 noon we went to the nearest Starbucks to grab our coffee. It had been a long, long, long time since I had been able to enjoy a bold brew. It was lovely. It was beautiful. It was perfectly enjoyable and for one moment...or at least a Venti moment...Starbucks was forgiven.
14 hours later we traveled through the middle of Nebraska. It was getting late and Brian needed one last jolt to get us to the farm. He spotted the Starbucks' sign from the interstate in York, Nebraska. As he pulled onto the exit ramp I let him know that I would not be getting anything...maybe a Refresh tea if they had it, but not a coffee. As he pulled into the drive-thru the mechanical voice in a very southern accent said, "Hello, my name is Ste-ella. Welcome to Starbucks. What can I get started for you this evening?" Brian looked at me, smirked as though he already knew the answer to the question he was about to ask and said, "you don't happen to have a bold brewed do you?" Ste-ella southernly answered, "well yes I do...I made it just for you. Would you like a Vent-a?" I'm not sure if the giggle escaped my lips because there was actually a bold brewed or because she had called it a vent-a...but regardless, she became our absolute most favorite Starbucks employee. Brian ordered a Vent-a bold and I ordered a Vent-a tea. Ste-ella chatted it up at the window and we truly appreciated her friendly personality. As we sped off into the night I told Brian that she just redeemed Starbucks for me. At a small Starbucks in the small, Nebraska town of York there is a Starbucks employee who deserves a really big bonus.
Unfortunately I will go back to my small Starbucks 30 miles away and be consistently disappointed with their service. But I will always smile and remember the small amount of joy we had as we drove through York, Nebraska.
"Would you like a Vent-a?"
Absolutely. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die
3 comments:
Hello, just catching up on your blog. Love the pics of Culley. I just have to say though, about your wrapped-up-in-yourself post below, that while you have a great point, Jesus (and God) DID take breaks. Maybe Jesus didn't rest on the way to Calvary on Good Friday (although he DID have someone help him carry his cross), but the Bible is full of examples of Jesus and God taking rests. So while having a servant attitude IS important, I don't think it's unreasonable to rest and refresh when necessary, it may even be Biblical. ;)
Ah, Jodi - I love you and our similar Starbucks addictions! :) Come on over to the Conkling casa soon with Culley so we can enjoy some good Starbucks bold coffee that I'll brew in my nice Cuisinart coffeemaker (that, coincidentally, I bought at Starbucks). Gotta love GOOD coffee at The 'Bucks!
Thanks Kit for your encouragement...and maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Jesus did take breaks, but His breaks were ultimately to refresh himself in God's company. He did absolutely nothing for himself. His breaks were prayer and fellowship with others. He did go off by himself...but never because he felt he deserved to be by himself...but to be in fellowship with the Father. I hope I didn't indicate that we never should take time to be with people or to sit and take time with our children, or God for that matter. It's all about our hearts and where they lie. Resting and refreshing should only come from God and our relationship with Him...not because I feel that I've worked hard enough to deserve one...but because I can't go without His beautiful fellowship.
Post a Comment