Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Culley Jo?

Many people have asked where the name Culley came from...they'd never heard it before. That was our plan! :) No...but truly...the name Culley has many siginificant meanings for me. Culley was my mother's maiden name and my grandmother was always Grandma Culley. I have only known one other person whose name was Culley...and he was a boy. BUT...I have always wanted to use the name somehow, so when I suggested the name to Brian as a boy's name he looked at me and said, "I like it...but for a girl's name. It sounds more like a girl's name to me." So...there you have it. We rambled through a few middle names, but when he said Culley Jo we knew it was the name for our baby girl.

Now...as we repeat the name and often have to spell it for others, we know that she'll probably get called all kinds of variations of the name, but our prayer is that the meaning of the name will mean more to her than the struggle for others to pronounce it. My mom has left a legacy in my life, and our prayer is that our little Culley will live to leave a legacy much like her grandmother.

Oh...and the meaning of Culley is "dove". Our little peace-maker will prayerfully live up to her name! :)

4 comments:

The Burgess family said...

Thanks for sharing! I have a lot of respect for family-inspired names. and I do love the idea of not-overly-heard-of names too :) Do you think you will ever call her CJ for a nickname? When we named Pearl, Luke insisted on a "J" middle name so he could call her PJ sometimes.

Unknown said...

CJ is an option...and we do call her that sometimes. But it will be up to her what she prefers when she gets older.

Emily said...

beautiful, beautiful Jodi! Love hearing all the meaning behind a lovely name. She will definitely live up to it!

Eric J. Bargerhuff, Ph.D. said...

We rejoice with you girl! Oh so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your life with us back in Chicago...we miss you dearly!

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die