Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wise or Foolish?

I think today I will try something a bit different. I have so many blog post ideas in my head that I just can't execute them all at this point. But, I was struck yesterday in my quiet time by a verse in Proverbs and as I was meditating and thinking through it, the idea hit me to use my blog today in a little bit different manner.

The scripture in Proverbs came from chapter 14, verse 1: "The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down."

This verse seems rather general to me...it seems wide open. So I'm going to ask for input from my readers. What can a wise woman do...what types of things must we do to build our house. And what can a foolish woman do...what types of things can we do with our own hands to tear it down?

I don't know about you, but I long desperately to be a wise woman...a wise wife...a wise mother. I've been called many things in my life, but the one thing I do not want to ever be called is foolish. So, help me...help each other and let's come up with some wise things to help build our houses stronger...and some foolish things that we can be aware of to avoid so that our houses are not torn down.

I can't wait to hear from you! Blessings today!

3 comments:

Mama on the Run said...

I LOVE your heart!
A wise woman builds up her house as she...
- prays for her husband and her children. (and her own heart to continually be refined!)
- puts God above husband and children (so hard to do!)
- instills a complete love and reverance of God in her husband through her actions, her heart and her words.
- instills a complete love and reverance of God in her children through her actions, her heart, her words, and her discipline.
- is a servant leader in her home.

A foolish woman tears down her house by...
- putting herself first.
- putting husband and children next.
- putting God last.
- going with the "popular culture" ideas of being the "wonder woman" who is constantly busy and doesn't take the time to truly be a servant to her Lord, husband, and children.


Wow - convicting stuff, Jodi!
Love you!
Amy

Monique Bergmeier said...

The first thing that came to my mind was that a wise woman builds her home by telling her kids what an amazing, wonderful, awesome, fun, Godly father they have! Tell them how much you love their daddy. Ask them - Who does Mommy love the most? Jesus #1, Daddy #2 and kiddos #3! This builds an amazing sense of security in the lives of our children. There are so many other things too - love Amy's comments! Hope to hear more comments!

Emily said...

This is good Jodi!
I love the other thoughts expressed and I too thought that putting God first and making time to align my heart with God, surrender my emotions and fears to him is the best thing I can do to build my house. Skipping that is the most foolish thing I do. Man, the repercussions come fast.
I really see how when I center myself on Him and allow Him to fill all the other things fall into place.
Blessings to you friend, I love your heart!

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die