Thursday, August 25, 2011

One Final Summer Post

Today is the one final summer post before we move on to football season. I already have a bazillion football posts written in my head, but I really want to finish filling everyone in on our summer transition.

Summer has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me. There were times I was so incredibly homesick for relationships that had depth and meaning. I know it's tough to believe, but in a few instances I was actually the one to bring conversations to a screaming halt by mentioning Christ and living evangelism. Those moments made me long for what I've had in the past. But honestly, through it all...I have never wanted to actually go back. One thing that God has taught me through my life experiences is that no matter how tough it seems now...He has a purpose that is even more beautiful than what I'm longing for. I think of the Israelites as they journeyed out of Egypt and were eye witnesses to the miraculous works of God ON THEIR BEHALF...for His glory. It wasn't long before they forgot...and they were longing to go back. I often pray that God will keep me from this mindless, thoughtless, trustless way of thinking. I know that what He has for us here is far better than we can imagine...if we just let Him work it all out for our good and His glory.

There have been other times that I've felt right where I belong. Those moments usually had something to do with the joy and laughter my kids and husband showed. These are a few of those moments:

Culley was finally old enough to attend story hour at the library. Once a week we would head over to one of the three available libraries and for 30 minutes she would listen to stories, sing songs (her favorite), and then she would watch me make her craft...yes...that is the only part that I was not thrilled about!
These are two of my favorites. The crown lasted quite a while...the jester hat...not so much.

We have really enjoyed being closer to Brian's family. We have enjoyed time with them at our house, at their houses, and at the lake.

A highlight of my summer was driving up to Lake Michigan and meeting his family there for the day. Culley had a blast! Her cousins looked after her and made her feel like one of the gang! It was one of the more relaxing days of the year.

We also headed up to Chicago with Brian's sister and her family. Not sure why, but I love public transportation since living in Istanbul, so this day was a blessing to me as we took the train in to the city and the bus to the zoo. On the way back, I sat by a lovely elderly lady who talked and talked...and adored Culley. I wish I would have had more time to chat with her.

Culley and Levi have really been growing to love each other.

Levi's face lights up when Cj walks into the room...and well, as you can see he already knows how to make her squeal! Culley is starting to play with him and when he cries, she is very intent on making him happy. Her first attempt is usually the same thing I try...the paci.


Even though these are older pictures, they are some of my favorites.

Not only have I been to the doctor for Levi in the last 10 months, but Brian's back went out, among other injuries from growing old. Culley has also had some medical issues. Nothing that is too serious, but I truly feel like I am the medical/hospital mom. I realized yesterday that there are two lessons to be learned waiting for tests and doctors...patience and trust in God's sovereignty. I guess those are two characteristics that God thinks I need some work in. Anyway...one particular test was an ultrasound for Culley. They were checking her kidneys for various reasons. She was not thrilled, to say the least. This one was tough for me. All she wanted was to wrap her arms and legs around me and hold on for dear life. So, of course I thought that deserved an ice cream cone.
If Culley only liked ice cream before moving...now she loves it! We've had a few pity parties around the ice cream cone these last few months...but her smile is very worth it.

That's about it...not terribly exciting, but that's our summer. Now we head into the real job...the real reason we came. I can't wait for the next part of the journey. It promises to be an adventure...it probably will feel a little bit like wandering in the wilderness for a while...but it will be a ride that God promises to go before us on...and I smile at what He will lead us to.

Blessings!

4 comments:

The Burgess family said...

oh, Pearl's had to have some tests on her kidneys too, those are NOT fun! I hope Culley is a-ok! We were in KS last week and my kids got to ride your parents' horse, Pearl was on cloud 9!!!

Monique Bergmeier said...

Thanks for sharing your heart! Praying for you as you start a new season in your life :) We miss you all. I'll have to show the kids all the great pics as they are constantly asking about Cj and Levi.

MamaOnTheRun33 said...

Love you, dear friend, and praying for you and the fam as you transition into the exciting endeavor of football season!
Thanks for the updates and pics. Love, love, love how you share your heart, too!
Keep us posted on the season!
Love,
Amy

The Schenk Family said...

I will be praying for you as you start a new season of football and in life. Keep us updated on Culley. Love you!

ps gracie has the same swim suite in purple. so easy for the potty training stage;)

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die