Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summertime

Here we are in the middle of July and as a football coach's wife the summer is about to end. By August 1, the staff will be in full speed getting ready for the players to arrive on the 9th. Once the players are here we begin the season. This isn't all bad...other than summertime, the season is by far my favorite part of Brian's job. He has a schedule; we know when we can spend time with him and we can plan accordingly. The rest of the year just isn't predictable, so it's a bit harder for me. With August quickly approaching, and I'm sure there will be many blog posts about the season and adjustments as a head coach's wife I thought I would give you a few posts about our summer.

We've had a blast! I can't say the adjustment to Illinois has been smooth sailing. We've had our bumps, I've had my cries, and we've had our moments of "what in the world were we thinking?" However, we've really had a good time as a family and I believe that even though we are in the thick of adjustment and finding our way that we have grown even closer as a family and the beliefs and convictions we gained while in Sterling and attending GBC have only been strengthened. So...how about a few pictures to illustrate what a fun time we've had?

The beginning of June we arrived home from Kansas and the next day we had some visitors! Andy, Betsy, and their family came to stay. Culley couldn't have been more excited or more thrilled to finally be reunited with her beloved Ya-ee-ya (Sylvia). I get a bit teary-eyed even now as I think of the kindred spirits those two have together. Everyone of those girls loved on Culley and she was extremely sad to see them go. On our tour of campus, Lydia ran all over the place with Culley who is constantly telling me to "come on! Run!" So it was nice for her to actually have someone run with her! We were sad to see them pull away, and in her prayers even now, Culley often thanks God for Ya-ee-ya and Neenah (Hannah and Anna).

The return to Illinois brought the news that our air-conditioner had quit...so for the extremely hot days we spent much of the day outside in the little pool rather than inside the hot, stuffy, and unbearable house. Notice the car? Garage sale number one this summer! :)

One of the things that Brian and I love about living here is we can take the Metra into downtown Chicago. It's about a 30 minute drive to the station and it will take us right down to Millennium Park. This is Culley's first choo-choo nain (train) ride. Oh my goodness...I thoroughly enjoyed watching her experience this adventure. We rode into Chicago and walked the 2.5 (give or take) miles to the Lincoln Park Zoo. She was lovin' it! She didn't even fall asleep on the train ride home. She kept telling everyone that she saw some elephants...there are no elephants at the Lincoln Park Zoo...so we may have to work on that! One of the traits that I love about my daughter is that people seem drawn to her. On the train, walking down Michigan Avenue, or at the zoo people were drawn to her and talked with her and commented on how friendly she was. Oh how I pray this character trait she will use to glorify God!

It's June...late June...hot...very hot.
Culley loves hats...what can I say? I've had to hide her stocking hats so she doesn't sweat to death this summer!

After a walk with Daddy at the coffee shop.
Going to the park. We live a little less than a mile from a great park. We often walk there and Culley plays while Levi takes a nap in the stroller. What a blessing to be able to get out. On our way to the park, there are some small animals that we can stop to see as well. We are hoping that the next time we get to the farm Culley won't be so terrified of the animals there!

And finally...my big helper! We've done some baking and making meals for others quite a bit this summer. She loves to help in the kitchen and this particular time we were making brownies for some people...the only way I could keep her from sticking her fingers in the batter with my back turned was to let her have the leftovers! I know, I know, I know...but I remember my mom letting me lick the bowl clean and those are some GREAT memories. I absolutely love that she want to help me...I only hope that when she's actually old enough to help she still wants to!

So...that's a snapshot of our summer. There is so much more to come! Oh...and if any of you are interested in a trip to the big city...I know a great place that is cozy, has a soft bed, and the best part is it would be FREE! Let me know if you're interested! :)

Blessings!

1 comment:

Mama on the Run said...

Oh, I loved reading this blog post! (I love all your posts, but this was truly special!!) :) I can relate to the coach's wife feelings of anticipation and anxiousness (except being a head coach's wife - hehe). What a fun trip to Chicago, too! Mackie and Culley seem to have the same contagious personality with people...and with baking...and with cooking...and with helping. We would LOVE to come and visit you guys within the next year or so. Need to have this babe first. :)
Love you guys and miss you!
Ames

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die