Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Longest Morning on Record...

I'm exhausted. Completely wiped out. Ready for a nap and looking forward to an early bedtime type of tired. Let me explain.

After confessing my cowardice I found myself completely and totally offended by my own self-proclamation. How dare I call myself a coward? Who in their right mind would call ME a coward? And so...today began Culley's training. When she woke up, we didn't even discuss diapers but instead pulled out her cute little undies with "neows" on them. To my amazement she was completely thrilled! Oh the excitement! We put one pair on...and then she continued to try to put EVERY pair on top of each other. She finally tried on three different ones before settling on the paw prints but only if I would let her carry the others with her. I figured that would make it easier to locate them after an accident, so we traipsed downstairs for the morning.

At first, she sat on the floor taking one pair off, putting another pair on, and so on for quite some time. When that became old hat, we sat in the kitchen and played with the cookie cutters that she has recently discovered. We practiced our ABC's, we danced, we made our grocery list, and so on and so on. At one point she went potty...received her treats...gobbled them down, claimed she had to go potty again and squeezed every ounce out of her body...received her treats...gobbled them down, claimed AGAIN she had to go potty, but this time came up dry.

All in all, she only had three "accidents" this morning. I will say that at this rate, I'm going to have to start a better exercise routine as every time she gets some goodies I seem to feel like I deserve them too! I honestly can't blame my tiredness on potty training...as much as I'd like to...because we actually had a fun morning. I know this is only the beginning...but I think she's off to a great start.

The only problem is I feel like my little girl is growing up too fast! Brian said if we can keep her in diapers she won't ever get married and leave. I guess he has a point there. :)

3 comments:

Tressa said...

Sounds like a solid start!!! We all shy from things we are unsure that we can accomplish. Way to take the bull by the horns.... or the toddler by the panties....?

The Burgess family said...

When potty training my first child, I said "I'm sure glad the 2nd is already on the way (or in your case, already here) because otherwise I don't think I would have any more!" Potty training is probably the most intimidating part of parenting small children. But it is always eventually accomplished (and sometimes even surprisingly simple, you realize after the fact), and I have a suspicion that later on in parenting I may look back and think that things like potty training were actually the easy part ;)

The Schenk Family said...

first you could keep her in her diaper forever but that would just get really gross. You dont want her to be a weird smelly kid:) Second potty training is an interesting thing. I actually relized how much more I like the diaper when I was at target and I did not want to stop and take Gracie to the nasty bathroom. It gets better then sometimes worse then better. Just dont travel for a little while that throws everything off. And once in a while you do deserve a treat because you do all the wipping right now:) Good luck keep going it will be worth it the fist time she runs to it all by her self. Gracie will now sit and read Troy books.

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die