Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jodi the Coward

Yes...I am a coward. I have officially dubbed myself the coward of all mothers. I've suspected this about myself for some time now, but parenting has confirmed and solidified that suspicion. If I am sure I will be unsuccessful at something, I avoid it at all costs. If I'm not quite sure how to get something finished with the least amount of inconvenience to me, I don't attempt it. Some might call this selfishness, pride, or even fear. I call it being a coward.

What has brought this particular topic to my blog? Well, I believe in my last posting I mentioned something to the effect that Culley was ready to be potty trained. But I'm sure I didn't mention that this is one of those mommyhood tasks that I have dreaded since I've dreamed of being a mommy. Oh to skip potty training and middle school! But alas, it is not possible short of Jesus' second coming. So Friday after blogging I was determined that this week was the week. I called all experts, searched high and low for little underwear small enough for Culley's little bottom, and made all the necessary arrangements to purchase the vital bribe candy and I was set and ready to go.

Monday came...we had a scheduled play date so I knew this was not to the be fateful day. As Monday night approached and Tuesday morning came I thought...maybe there was a better way...and of course I came up with a better plan that would be less painful for me. Instead of putting her in her big girl underwear I kept her in her diaper until lunch time. When she was finished with lunch I placed 10 m&m's on her tray. She literally gobbled them up and I sat there thinking this was going to work. When she was finished I got her down and told her that if she went potty on the big girl potty I would give her more (with a huge, goofy smile on my face to indicate how exciting that would be). Here's how the day went...

Nap time:
"Culley, do you want to go potty so you can have some candy?"
"No."
"Well, you can try."
On the potty she sits and sits and then tells me her pee-pees went bye-bye.

Post nap time:
"Culley, do you cant to go potty so you can have some candy?"
"No."
"Well, you need to try."
Again, she sits and then tells me her pee-pees went bye-bye.

Multiple times through the afternoon I get that huge, goofy grin on my face and try to sound as excited as possible when I offer her some candy in exchange for pee-pees in the potty. All afternoon she tells me no.

Bedtime:
"Culley, let's go brush your teeth."
Pointing to her mouth she says, "di...di" (candy)
"You can't have candy unless you go pee-pee on the potty."
With a huge grin on her face she says, "OK!"
I put her on the potty and she goes pee-pee.

Now...I believe I need to rethink this. I'm not dealing with a normal 22 month old child who works for bribes...and I'm not willing to start until I'm sure it's going to work. BUT...unfortunately I think the little lady has me figured out. Coward? Yes...I believe I may just chicken out.

2 comments:

Lily said...

If it makes you feel better, we had about 10 stop-and-restart potty training sessions with Eli. I would give up after a day or two and then wait for another few months to try again. I always give up on everything. What finally worked was having a week of intensive potty training while we were locked in my mom's kitchen and I had a lot of support. Every time I lost it, Mark would step in and be patient. I recommend this method if you can manage it. We ordered the Potty Boot Camp book for 99 cents on Ebay. It's from the 70's. It's hardcore.

Anonymous said...

ok you have a VERY smart little girl there! I'll tell you the thing that finally worked w/both my boys was telling them they were done with diapers, putting them in underwear and making them clean up their own messes. I've read the Potty Boot Camp book to. It's a good one! :)

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die