Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New York

Thursday I leave for four days to a conference in New York City. I am excited and a bit apprehensive at the same time. I am looking foward to this conference because it is an MYP conference. MYP, or Middle Years Programme, is the middle school version of the IBO. In Istanbul we had the IBO for the 11 and 12 grade students, but we put together our own curriculum for the 9 and 10 kiddos. Our curriculum was designed to prepare each students for a rigorous IBO diploma and that would send them on their way to international universities. The MYP program is similar, but it begins in grade 7 and goes through grade 10.

So...I am looking foward to seeing exactly what MYP teaches and how close we were in developing the 9-10 curriculum at ENKA. Secondly, I am excited about simply being in New York. I have plans to see whatever museums are open after our conference hours and I am determined to see the Statue of Liberty. There are few people who get this opportunity and I am planning to do as much as I can...and still get my rest.

The one thing I am a bit apprehensive about is there are four other teachers going. I like all four of them, but I'm not sure our ideas of spending time in New York will be the same. I'm praying for a good cultural, educational, and uplifting time while I am there. I do not want to get hit with unexpected circumstances so I am already praying for wisdom and insight.

The only other thing I long for is to experience this city with Brian.However,I am thankful for this opportunity that the school has provided for me. NEW YORK...HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die