Saturday, June 21, 2014

This particular post of for those of you who have asked me to share a bit more about our decision to adopt.  As you can see...read...I've been MIA for over a year.  For some of you, our decision to adopt may seem...well...a bit "out of the blue."  It will be almost impossible for me to recount the entire journey...because for both Brian and I the seed planted in our hearts to adopt was laid on our hearts before we ever met each other.  But that would require more time and words than I am able to write...and you want to read.  But...Brian did gently urge me to get back into blogging and let our friends and family know where this decision came from and to allow those who are interested to walk this path with us through words.

Unfortunately...I probably won't get to many details in this post.  However, in order to prepare you for our journey...I'd like to share a journal entry from the end of 2013.  At the end of each year I try to sit...for a long time...and look back.  Fortunately for me, my birthday is December 31, so often this is one of my birthday gifts from my family.  I spend ALL morning at Starbucks...ALL BY MYSELF.  This year I listed each month of 2013 and wrote out all the significant events from each month that I could remember.  No calendar in front of me to remind me of the busyness of the year...but just my own thoughts and memories.  Then...I sat and looked forward.  I listed everything that I knew would happen in 2014.  At the top of that list was "adoption."  As I was pondering how to share where our desire and decision to adopt came from...or how it started I want to share two quotes from that time alone:

"We see how great our God is by stepping out on faith in obedience-not by living a safe, comfortable life."  (I can't document this quote because I don't know who said it).

"Sometimes obedience may look a little crazy...to everyone else...but sometimes what looks like risk to others is simply obedience to the one stepping out in faith."  (paraphrase of Addisyn Block).

And then...a few days later I wrote this:

What if There is More?
What if there is more?  More than Comfort-warm home
                                                                  eating healthy
                                                                  fitness
                                                                  ease of life
                                                     Things- clean home
                                                                  nice furniture
                                                                  two cars
                                                                  fashionable clothes
                                                      Reputation-travel
                                                                  work
                                                                  friends
What if we are missing out on some of God's greatest spiritual blessings because we are chasing his physical blessings and content to chase only that which we see?
What if the "more" we are looking for is actually within reach, but in order to reach out we have to let go?
What if our lives looked just like we dreamed, just like we wanted...do we ever wonder what if it looked like God wanted it to?
What if we bowed before God with arms empty?
What if we said, "what do I need to give up in order to get more?"
What if that "more" is simply Jesus and we can't see him because our arms are full of his blessings of 
              family     houses     football     clothes
              friends    cars        music         technology
              trinkets   furniture?
What if we had to-what if we were asked to give it all up?
What if we stopped saving for the next upgrade?
What if we said "yes?"
What if all that was left was Jesus?
Would that be enough?
Would we give that up?
Would we give?
Would we go?
What if we stopped striving?
What if we gave up a few things?
What if we gave?
What if we looked and lived so drastically different?
What if we served more rather than earned more?
What if we gave time more than money?
What if we sent?
What if we gave up more than we acquired?
What if we saw Jesus?
What if we prayed--radically prayed?
What if...?
What if Jesus is waiting on the other side of our stuff?
What if there is more?

These are the things that I asked myself as 2013 wrapped up...and 2014 began.  We had already decided to start the adoption process...but I hadn't made myself officially send in that lengthy application.  There are a lot of "what ifs" in life...but sometimes what looks like risk to some is really obedience to others.  If you really want to know what is at the root of our adoption...look at Jesus.  Look at our Father who adopted me.

There is more to tell...but that will have to wait until next time. :)

Blessings!
Jodi  

No comments:

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die