Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our Times

It's been a while since I've written...or really felt moved to write. My life has been hectic, as life for Americans seems to be. In the past couple of weeks I've had ups and downs and various other things that seem to steal my mind from one of the things I love to do most. Today, however, I have decided that it's time. My spirit is a bit unsettled and it's necessary for me to sit and write a few things down.

It's the holiday season and I absolutely love this time of year. Maybe it's the music...maybe it's the food...maybe it's the family reunions...and maybe it's just a break from the normal daily grind. November 1 is the date set in my world when Christmas music is appropriate to listen to on a regular basis. Thanksgiving and Christmas work together to create the holiday season...and truly what could I be more thankful for than Jesus?

So as I've been gearing up for the holiday season I walk into school today and am told about a bulletin board that reads: "Three wise men? Be serious!" Now, this can be taken two different ways. We can look at this quote as a religious statement or extremely sexist. Either way there is absolutely no place for it in school. Based upon these two interpretations I have two main thoughts.

First, if this is a religious statement...a sacrilegious statement...it confuses my mind how these types of anti-religious expressions are allowed but people all over have trouble accepting any type of pro-religious expression in school. It is offensive to someone...it is offensive to me.

Secondly, if this is a sexist statement (mind you a woman put the bulletin board up) then I find it offensive as well. We talk in some circles of reverse racism. Where those who claim oppression due to racism in turn are racist themselves which makes reconciliation rather difficult. This is a similar situation. Yes, women have had to push and fight their way into the professional world in order to obtain equality with men. However, it is just this type of thing that makes reconciliation and true equality difficult to achieve. Not to mention in order to gain respect we must give respect and I, for one, feel this bulletin board is extremely disrespectful. In fact I know many wise men in this world.

Regardless of the interpretation, this is not just an expression or statement made to adults working in a government establishment, this is placed in the hallway where impressionable students may take license to splutter the same offensive remarks to others as well.

So today I keep reminding myself that we cannot be surprised when lost people act like lost people. They are not held to the same standard as I am...their eyes are blinded. So, I can only do my small part and keep my candle burning where I am. "I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, and He shall stengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord."

No comments:

"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die