I absolutely love words. Don't get me wrong...I am not a person with a high vocabulary. As soon as I look a word up I forget its meaning and if asked what a words means I can only give a guess within context clues. BUT...I love words. I think that people who write creatively are the ones who can take a word that no one uses and make it sound academic and understandable at the same time.
My favorite place to find these types of luscious uses are in "The Economist." Okay...it sounds absolutely boring. In fact when I first heard about this great magazine from my friend, Mara, I turned up my nose as well. She, of course, told me to just read it before I judged it by its name...and I was hooked. My experience with "The Economist" was limited to my two years living in Turkey and airports...until recently. I just subscribed to the economist this fall and upon reading one of my first issues I fell in love all over again! Regardless of your first impression...the magazine is not simply about the economy...I'm not that smart. It's actually a magazine not unlike TIME or Newsweek...ONLY IT'S BETTER WRITING!
For example, in an article this week about the American presidential race the author said that the American "economy is in the doldrums." DOLDRUMS? Who uses that word anymore??? Not to mention it was perfectly placed in the midst of a political article. Seriously, the author also said that Obama had "unsavoury friends." UNSAVOURY? I've never heard it phrased like that...but it works! Oh...and one of my all-issue favorites...he refered to McCain's campaign having "populist piffle." PIFFLE??? Again...I tell you...I get more enjoyment out of the words rather than the information. I mean...who uses the word 'alas' anymore? And yet it gives this newspaper magazine a Shakespearean beauty that maybe only an English teacher can appreciate.
I will admit that there are articles that I read and have absolutely no idea what it's about...I'm just looking for great writing and I've enjoyed every moment of reading today.
I knew it would be a wonderful day of promise when I drove to work and saw the most respendant rainbow...full rainbow...this morning. It was a savory moment. Who could have the doldrums when God's promises are never full of populist piffle...but only truth!
Happy Friday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Let us live until we drop, but let us never lower the standard."
---Ponnammal from A Chance to Die
7 comments:
I used the word doldrums today too Jodi! I definately felt smart . . . I am glad you like words too. Love to you!
This blog sounded a bit like "piffle" to me...it would be who of you to liven things up a bit and not be such a doldrum!!!
Chuck
Oh Jodi, I knew we were kindred spirits! Here again you have put a voice to my thoughts exactly! Just recently Joel has been making fun of me for my use of "smart" words. :) I just laugh and explain to him that in spite of changing diapers and caring for a baby as a my job now, my intellectual self is still alive and well!
I will have to pick up a copy of your new magazine, thanks!
Now that's the kind of stuff I like to read about -- I've always reveled in being a "phrase-smith," and even last night I used the word cantankerous.
You crack me up! I'm seriously laughing out load right now...and guess what? I still use the word "alas" - the proof is in the pudding...right in my last blog post!! Oh I miss you SO very much, my friend. Great post.
What I love about this post is that you encourage me to go outside of the norm to look for joy and inspiration. I tend to gravitate to the same sources and comfort zones when looking to jump-start my creativity. Who goes to The Economist for inspiration and words to relish? Well, now I know someone who does. I think I just might have to get myself a copy of the magazine. This was fun, lively and useful for me. Writing is the greatest! Thanks for taking the time to share your words.
I was just reading The Economist during our Eid break and I'd circled all my words to go look up. Three cheers for Mara being such an outside the box friend. :) Unfortunately, before I could look up all my new words, the kitty monster spilled a whole bottle of fabric softner on said magazine and we had to toss it along with my newest Runner's World, which I'd yet to read because I was busy with The Economist. Obviously the cat didn't consider that those magazines are worth their weight in gold here, much pricier than the news stand price listed on the cover. The cat was sent to time out while I calmed down. :)
I sure do miss you friend.
Post a Comment